The Lafer Building
The Lafer building was designed by Joseph E. Mills and constructed in 1916 for the Lafer Brothers Store. This wholesale and retail grocer occupied the ground floor until 1946.
At that time, the first floor was divided into two strorefronts. Drake's Jewelry occupied the northern storefront and Famous Shirt Shop occupied the southern. In 1951, another renovation occurred and Drake's Jewerly moved into the southern storefront.
The northern storefront remain unoccupied until 1957 when Bar-x took occupancy; the tavern remained in the space until closing in 1983. In 1980, Oxford Enterprises moved into the jewelry store space and remained until 1983. Most recently the tavern reopened as Club Reminisce for portions of 1996 and 1997.
The design shown was done for Fieldstone Properties in the bid to purchase the Lafer Building from the Greater Downtown Partnershp in 2000. Unfortunately, the building was sold to another developer. In 2012, Bedrock Development, purchased the adjacent parking lots to develop a "Z" shaped parking garage.
© studiozONE, llc 2012